Tuesday, January 2, 2018

World Cup Musings Part 3: Long Camp

Long camp was a grind. To say that I’ve never experienced anything like it wouldn’t exactly be accurate, but it was its own monster. I’ve been through four preseasons for a division one college basketball team, and each was its own monster, as is 7s residency, especially when leading up to the first tournament of the World Series. However, long camp was a sort-of combination of each of these, with its own elements churned in.

Camp kicked off with Navy Seal training in Coronado, CA. That would be a taste of what was in store for us during the month of July. In the arid Chula Vista heat, we dug our spikes into the dirt and put our noses to the rugby grindstone for four weeks. The long camp tested our fitness, our strength, our mettle. The goal with these long camps and preseasons is to prepare the body and mind for competition. To do this, you condition in extremes. You push your boundaries far enough so that hopefully, no matter what comes up, in competition you won’t meet them again, and if you do, you know how to push further. Or at least that is the heroic ideal. The truth is, it's a hellish grueling process, with a healthy dose of fulfillment.

A typical day consisted of a gym session, a practice preview (including film most days), a morning practice, a snack/lunch break and an afternoon/evening practice. Sometimes there were three practice sessions, sometimes no gym, sometimes only gym and one practice, sometimes a team bonding event—it varied, but most of the time we had three sessions and some sort of meeting and/or film. Usually, we were at the center for about 7ish hours, and we trained 5-6 days a week.

We also lived with one another—not in one large house, but in small groups divided among apartments. Of course, sharing space with others comes with its own problems, but I believe it made long camp easier for me (despite having to pick up behind Catie Benson…heart you Benny). For the duration of long camp, I lived in the Tight 5 House (plus Perry). It was myself and our courageous captain, Tiff, in one room, Benson and Kuno in another, and Perry and Nick James in the third room.

I’ve given you the rundown of a typical training day. Our days were much more than training. I still had my job, though I had cut my hours a good deal. Others had jobs as well. Some had school work, and others worked remotely. At one point, Nick James flew back home to fulfill coaching obligations in the Lone Star State.

Most mornings I woke up early and did yoga while Tiff worked in her section of our “office” in the living room. We had coffee and some great chats (sometimes over Simon and Garfunkel’s “The Sound of Silence”…you know, “Hello Darkness, my old friend”). Then off to breakfast. I sometimes stayed a while longer, ate at home and had some mindfulness time. Then off to training, with work afterward.

Side note: In addition to the team and staff, we had some family join us along the way. Family and partners came to visit during the week of the USA v. WPL match and continued to stop by. It was a welcome distraction to the rigorous monotony of training. We also had Pete’s little girl, Penny, motivating us (she liked the forwards best, because we fed her).

Usually, I’d come home from work around 9-9:30 and find a house full, most playing cards. Mata would have a plate full of watermelon and Tiff would be talking smack at the card table. Nick would occasionally break from cards to pour a glass of sweet tea from one of those plastic gallon pitchers, and Benson would be recording most of it on some sort of social media outlet. At one point, during camp we drew up a family history. I’ll give you guys my side of the family tree (apparently, I get around).

We’d usually have a day off on the weekend, and I’d set up my work schedule so that I was off on our off day. Sometimes, we’d visit the beach, and sometimes go to the farmer’s market, where we’d sample everything and sweet talk the cheesecake guy into giving us a deal on mini cheesecakes. And there were cookies. At one point along the way, I bought a poncho along with my good buddy, Bulou. 

That's the short of long camp, the jist, the all-in-all. That may seem monotonous, but there were plenty of mini adventures, little shenanigans, and lifelong memories (god I’m dripping with clichés). And when it was done, we’d only get to do it over again in Ireland. What’s that saying, “when one door closes, there’s a window open”…or “the door’s not locked”…or something. Kidding. World Cup would be open door around the corner, and really guys, I don’t know how I could ever fit that experience into a blog. We’ll see…

No comments:

Post a Comment